Thursday, April 3, 2014

Young girl

I'm 17 years old turning 18 this October. I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last December 2013 and starting that moment my life totally changed. I've been wanting to write about this side of my life ever since my life shifted but I'm scared that other people might judge me or take pity on me and I never wanted that to happen. But on the bright side, I've realized that through my story, I want to inspire other people especially the young who are also in the same situation as me.

Type 1 diabetes is different from the diabetes we usually hear about, the one's our grandparents usually have. It's the type of diabetes wherein the pancreas can no longer supply enough insulin for the body. That is why I was prescribed to check my blood sugar and inject insulin twice a day every 6AM and 6PM. Currently I'm injecting 44 units every morning and 12 unites every evening. (only diabetics can understand this thing lol) It's really hard to wake up every 6 in the morning and be at home at 6 in the evening just to inject, especially for a college student like me. One of the worst things about being diabetic is the diet. Of course, no sweets! I also have to limit my rice from 1/2 cup to 1 cup at most. Less intake of carbs and meals are scheduled. After being diagnosed with diabetes, my parents started to get strict about everything! Sometimes, it's really hard to ask permissions from them and I have no other choice but to accept the rejections. In my entire life I never really expected I'd have this type of disease or whatever it is. No one in our family have diabetes. Sometimes, I just sit in the corner and wonder what went wrong, but some point i thought, not everything was destined to be right. Things like this are supposed be accepted no matter how hard it is because things like this are the ones we have no power of changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment